The Kales building was designed by Detroit architect Albert Kahn in 1914, and renovated between 2013-2014 with Brian Hurttienne acting as lead architect. The building is styled with a clean-lined facade of white glazed tile with Neo-Classical and Renaissance revival elements like a hipped roof and upper arched windows.
When completed in 1914, the Kresge Building housed the headquarters for the Kresge Corporation. While Kresge occupied 9 of the 18 floors, the rest of the floors were leased out to doctors, dentists, and a pharmacy in the street level storefront. After Kresge relocated in 1930, the building remained medical offices until 1986 when the last tenant moved out. The building sat vacant for nearly twenty years, until redevelopment efforts led to a full renovation into loft apartment between 2003-2004.
Location: Detroit, MI
Area: - SF
Phase: Complete, 2004
Mechanical, Electrical, Plumbing: