The John R Brownstones is a six-unit rowhouse originally constructed in 1895 on the back lost of an existing house in the Brush Park Historic District. Because of the extent of deterioration to the building being left vacant and open to the elements for many years, the only salvageable part was the brick and stone masonry. The rebuilding of the interior structure lead to the reconfiguration for modern living. Adding a breezeway and two-car garage to each unit resulted in a spacious townhouse in the heart of Detroit.
Location: Brush Park Historic District, Detroit, MI
Phase: Completed, 2003
General Contractor: The Monahan Company